“Then Job answered the Lord and said, ‘I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.’ “ Job 42:1
“God is not a man that He should lie, nor a son of man that He should repent; has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?” Numbers 23:19
“For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us. Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.” 2 Corinthians 1:20-22
I woke up one morning recently and felt discouragement wrapped around me like a thick black garment. My faith seemed to be choking underneath it. There wasn’t any big disappointment or obvious trial in my life; I was just struggling with the seeming quietness of God in my circumstances. Just like Peter, James, and John in Luke 9:28-43, the Lord had shown me and promised me amazing things on the mountain top, and now I was wrestling to believe that they were true (in the demon-possessed valley!). The stillness and darkness challenged my faith and Satan was whispering in my ear like he did to Eve: “Has God said…?” (Genesis 3:1). As I was sitting on my bed, I cried outloud to Jesus, "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24). I sat there for a little while, listening for Him to speak something to me, and heard the Lord clearly say to my heart “Come run with Me.” I quickly put my running shoes on and headed out the door into my neighborhood. As I began the run, I got the impression that I should start to intentionally recall to my mind all the times He had come through for me when I just put one foot in front of the other by faith. I needed to preach the truth to my own soul.
I thought about a 19 year old me that stepped out in faith (with my mom’s faithful prayer and encouragement) to become an Emergency Medical Technician. Teenage me knew it was from the Lord the minute I heard the job description (though it never occurred to me that driving a huge ambulance would be required and driving terrified me. Also, I was even more directionally challenged than I am now and didn’t realize I should be able to read maps as well. Ha!). I went through the entire program and found out I didn’t have the correct CPR card to be able to test for state certification. I called everywhere and but no one had CPR classes going because it was the week of Christmas. I prayed, my parents prayed, and eventually an instructor had pity on me and gave me a one-on-one class! With my new CPR card in hand, I sent in my application to the state to schedule my test. Weeks later, the testing agency called me to tell me there wasn't a slot left for me since I hadn't been able to send it in my application immediately. They put me on a waiting list and made it clear I shouldn’t get my hopes up. I prayed and kept studying for my test as if I was already scheduled, having a kernal of hope that God was in this somehow. A surprised-sounding lady called me back not many days later and said “You wouldn’t believe this, but someone broke their leg skiing and you can have their spot”. I tested and entered a whirlwind five-year EMS career that required a strong-foundation of “God led me to this” moments.
Fast-forward six years and I was a bride-to-be in full planning mode. I felt impressed from the very beginning that the Lord wanted our wedding reception at a certain venue, but you had to be members of that country club, or know someone who was. Both of those were a big "N-O" for us so I kept looking everywhere else. A couple of months later it came down to the time when I was supposed to send out wedding invitations and I still had nothing settled for a reception. I wondered nervously what I would put down for reception address and prayed my little heart out. (There is nothing like wedding-planning to bring someone to their knees, right?). God spoke to me clearly in my time with Him that He wanted me to send out the wedding invitations by faith with the address of the venue that He wanted us at on it. Ugh. I wept face down on my floor and fought Him for awhile but He kept making it clear there weren't any other instructions He would give me. I eventually broke down in surrender and said to God: “I feel like a crazy woman! Okay! Whatever happens, I’ll follow You. Okay, I’ll do it.” With the invitations sent out, I began to plan with the coordinator at that venue though we never got to the part about reserving it (no member signature, no reservation!). I wondered what God would do with that, but just heard "Keep moving forward. I've got it." So I bought decorations at Michael's, picked items from their menu for our guests, and wondered if I was a lunatic. At the same time, my soon-to-be husband and I had been looking for months for a place to live and only found dead ends. It was the height of the housing boom and a very discouraging time to look for affordable housing of any kind. Even the sad little apartment with the railroad track running beside it was expensive. People would ask us when they saw us: “Where are you going to live?” Avery and I would say: “We have no idea." Well-meaning people: "What's the plan?" Us: "Only God knows!” Our family was getting nervous and so were we, but we both felt the Lord say “Wait. I’ve got it.” Avery would tell me: "So we'll be 'fools for Christ'. Whatever happens we'll have obeyed Him."
Now it was only weeks away and we were still waiting with eyes wide open for both needs to be met. Avery and I would pray together about it (I would be sobbing the whole time. God bless that poor man!) and only hear from the Lord "Trust me". I remember one day leaving the Edison State College parking lot (where I was finishing up nursing school) when the coordinator at the country club called me on my cell phone. I nervously answered and she sounded a little frustrated with me. Coordinator: “Can you come today? We have really got to get these last details settled, Joy!” No kidding, I wearily thought. I drove straight to the venue, wondering what would happen when she got to the part about the member signature. When I got there she told me that the dining room I had originally planned for was now booked because we were never able to officially reserve it. She then offered me a beautiful location downstairs that was partly outdoors and slightly more casual. It was lovelier than I could have imagined, less expensive, and she never mentioned the member signature. She had pity on the “crazy-last minute bride” (if she only knew the real five-year-planner me) and the deal was sealed that day. My phone rang again and it was the wife of a couple we knew asking if we would like to rent a condo they owned in a nice gated community in Estero. They had purchased it for her aging parents but now they couldn’t move in and it was just sitting vacant. It was immediately available, they would just want rent enough to cover their expenses, and they would like to give the first month free as a wedding gift. Avery and I toured it with them that week with dropped jaws, knowing we could never have afforded it on our own. We were absolutely awed how God met both of those needs, all wrapped up in a bow so quickly after an agonizing test of faith. We entered into a wonderful and painful three and half years of marriage that would require us to recall all of our “God led us here!” moments.
In the Old Testament, when God revealed Himself to His people and spoke a special word to them, they often would take stones and make an altar to the Lord in that place. They offered a tangible sacrifice on it to show their faith, and they would look back on those stones to remember what God had done and said. As I looked back at those "altars" of faith that I shared (and many others besides them), I was amazed that I could ever disbelieve Him. The discouragement and unbelief I had been wrestling with looked ridiculous in light of His faithfulness to me. I was singing and praising Him and excited again to step out on His promises!
I'm sharing these stories with you today to point to our God and say: "He's an expert in leading weak people like me into faithfulness". There's no such thing as "perfect faith" in imperfect people and I'm flawed to the core. I stumbled alot, feared and doubted, and just kept giving it back to the Lord (many times in a day), saying "If I just trust You in this, no matter what it looks like at least You'll be honored." I've also learned that if God speaks a word to my heart about my circumstances, I need to humbly ask Him to give me a scripture to hold on. I want to be sure the voice I'm hearing lines up with His Word in the Bible and I know I'll need something to cling to when the doubts and attacks come. I'm often full of faith when I hear the Holy Spirit speak something to me, but when that moment begins to fade and I'm under the pressure of the waiting, I need to fight temptation like Jesus did. He fought off Satan's attacks by standing on God's written Word. "Jesus answered, 'it is written...' " Luke 4:4 In retrospect, His promises have always turned out different than I pictured when God first gave me the promise, but He was always true to His Word. He always did what He said He would. ALWAYS.
Are you struggling with any doubts about God's faithfulness today? We've all been there and will be there again. What “altars” can you look at in your past where you say “God did this for me when I stepped out on His word”? If you’re being challenged to obey Him in something and step out in faith, how has He met you in the past when you did that?
“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14
Lord, Your Scripture and the specific promises you speak to our hearts are trustworthy because YOU are trustworthy. You ARE the Word of God! You will become more real to us and dwell among us in intimacy as we obey Your commands and believe Your promises. We will see Your glory in our circumstances in due time. Most importantly, You'll be glorified as we do that. Thank You for being full of grace and truth! You have abundant grace to hold us to Your side as we obey in faith, and will give us Your truth to correct and assure us when we start to veer. Help us to intentionally recall the "altars" of faith You've helped us lay up in our lives. Spur us on to trust You, wait on You, and keep obeying no matter what the cost. In Jesus Name, Amen.

This may be the best post yet:D Probably because I remember those moments....I remember praying for you all...and worrying for you as your wedding approached. Jeremy and I often recal those times when our faith is weak. I can clearly hear Avery saying..."then we will be fools for Christ" as you both waited. (We were getting ready to offer out guest bedroom, hahaha, except we had a baby on the way;)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing these thoughts. I just started reading John Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life" and many of the things you mentioned echoed what I read this morning. I desire to live a life based more on faith and less on my plans. I loved the part about humbly asking God for scripture to hold onto so that when those moments of doubt rise, you have something to battle with. Great word and reminder for me.
Thank you my sweet friend. You have been in my thoughts and prayers this week ;)
~Michele