“Place me like a seal over your heart, like a
seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as
the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench
love; rivers cannot sweep it away. If one were to give all the wealth of one’s
house for love, it would be utterly scorned.” Song of Solomon 8:6-7
Have you ever been in a place in your life where you sensed
the Lord intently pursuing you? He’s been a very real husband to me for almost
three years, but lately I’ve felt His gaze on me stronger than I can
remember. A part of me relishes it (deep
down I need to be claimed and wanted), and a part of me squirms under His intensity.
I feel led today to share some very personal snippets of
what it looks like in my every day, ordinary life. The ways He’s seeking me in
this season may be very different from the way He’s seeking you out. My hope is
that maybe we’ll all be a little more aware of His pursuit, and not ignore it
or resist it.
In submitting future
plans to Him.
Jesus has been inwardly nudging me when my thoughts about
the future drift into “independent auto
pilot”. My thought life is just a reflection of what’s going on in my heart; a
lack of submission and dependence on Him. He’s given me some concrete
instructions to follow for my future (this training I’m a part right now in
Colorado is one example), but that doesn’t give me license to run out and try
and “make it happen” apart from Him. When someone offers you space under their umbrella
in a storm, you don’t run as fast as you can and hope they keep up. I need to
be keeping pace with the umbrella-holder, my covering, Jesus Christ. Jesus gives us the picture of how helpless
and dried up we are apart from Him. Try reading this out loud with your name
inserted into every in place He says “you”.
“I am the vine; you
are the branches. If you remain in Me and I in you, you will bear much fruit;
apart from Me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in Me, you are like a
branch that is thrown away and withers..”
John 15:5-6
In the area of
selfish expectations.
One of the dangers of
not having any dependents or built-in accountability in this season of life is
that I’m prone to turning, as one author
puts it, “slavishly inward”. I
confess that as a single lady without
children it’s easy for me to just think
about myself, my own comfort, my own needs. “My, my, my”. Ugh. The
Lord is so gracious though, and He wisely inserts people into my life to pour
into and interact with. For instance, the website for this training program
promised private rooms. “Great!”, I thought to myself, “Five beautiful weeks to
hole up with the Lord in privacy”. Three
hours after arriving, someone knocks on my door, and in walks my roommate!
Inwardly sighing, I gathered up my shattered expectations of solitude and made
room in the closet. Now I can’t imagine it any differently. This young woman is
hand-wrapped beautiful gift I don’t deserve. The Lord wisely knew I needed a sister
to help me process this mission journey. It doesn’t do me any harm to remember
how to share a bathroom sink either! Thank
You, Jesus, for not listening to my selfish preferences.
In treating brothers
like brothers.
I’m not going to lie; I’m surrounded here by attractive,
godly, mission-minded single men. Now before some of you ladies decide to buy a
plane ticket and join me here, I’d like to say that it often makes me want to
press the “eject button” and get out of here. I think you’ll agree that dealing
well with the opposite sex is spiritually and emotionally complicated. God has
made it clear to me that these are my brothers and my heart attitude and
interactions need to line up with that. So what does guarding my heart and
their heart look like? It means being
strategic and prayerful about what table I sit down to eat at for breakfast,
lunch, and dinner. It means making sure there’s a nice buffer (like another
sister or a married couple with a whole gaggle of kids) in every interaction. I
want to treat them like their future wife is standing right beside them. And
that’s not just for the single guys; the married ones need covering too. I
don’t strike up conversations that don’t include their wives and I keep that
dear lady as a shield between us. As a whole, it means I bring my eye contact,
conversation, manner of dress, and heart intentions before the Lord frequently.
It’s not about coldly avoiding or being rude (which seems easier to me), but
making sure their heart is safe and so is mine. Keep their dignity and being a
gracious “wall.”
“If she is a wall, we
will build towers of silver on her. If she is a door, we will enclose her with
panels of cedar.” Song of Solomon 8:9
Are we a “wall” or a “door”?
If you read this scripture in context, it’s a frank conversation some older
brothers are having about how they will protect their young sister until her
marriage. They want to guard her purity, and they plan to do that in various
ways according to the state of her heart. If she’s trustworthy and guards her
heart, they want to honor and celebrate that. That quality is beautiful it’s
pictured by draping her with silver. If she’s an “open door” emotionally,
inviting anyone to come in and meet her needs (on any level), they know they’ll
have to protect her more forcefully. Maybe some days we’ll go between being a
wall and a door emotionally. I would
rather the Lord have me molded into a gracious, yet firm wall that honors Him
and my brothers in Christ. Not emotionally shutting down, but allowing Him to
shield me and seal in what’s precious.
“..take me away with
you—let us hurry! Let the king bring me into his chambers.” Song of Solomon 1:4
Dear Lord, please make us aware of Your unique pursuit of
our hearts. Help us not to push You away or resist You. Make us a pure bride in
Christ and draw us deep into Your chambers! Our life, love, and freedom are
only found in intimacy with You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Joy your transparency and real life examples followed by scripture is such a blessing to me! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I'm encouraged, challenged and walk away praising our God for what He is doing in your life. I love you sister!
ReplyDeleteI love you too, my dearest Ashby. You are a blessing I can't thank the Lord enough for!
ReplyDelete